Tuesday, October 2, 2007

...Bias Movie Watchers... (choice blog)

For those of you who have seen Garden State directed by and staring Zach Braff, you most likely either really didn't like it or you absolutely loved it. This film is about a 20-something-year-old actor, Andrew Largeman (Zach Braff), who visits his hometown in New Jersey after being away for about 7 years for a funeral. For this adventure home, he is off his medications for the first time in a very long time, which leads him to realizing how numb he has been all his life. This unique and clever movie is all about letting go and living your own life. Many people have high expectations when they see this movie for the first time and I get comments like "it had no plot!" or "it was so boring, I fell asleep". What I say to them is, you must not know how to read a film, or at least appreciate the underlining message it is sending. The other thing is that this movie is not your typical "in-your-face" comedy; you have to see the humor in the smaller things, which I like. I think it makes more sense to watch a movie and laugh on your own account and not just laugh whenever there are "laugh tracks" added in. Garden State is an INDEPENDENT film, so yes, it is different, and yes it's not your typical romantic comedy, but try to step outside the box office and enjoy Zach Braff's subtle humor.

1 comment:

Anniessa said...

Oh Kari. I know exactly what you mean about Zach Braff's unconventional humor. I love the part when Kenny, his cop friend, says something like:
People have to listen to you when you're a cop [pulls out his gun] I mean, they HAVE to! [chuckles to self]
Anyway, I feel like girls receive this movie better... maybe that's just me. But well done on the analysis part.