Thursday, November 1, 2007

Bringing Up Baby vs. Meet The Fockers

Along with most of my classmates, I found Katharine Hepburn's character, Susan, extremely annoying in Howard Hawk's Bringing Up Baby. Sorry Mr. Klobuchar. I honestly tried to look past her character and enjoy the rest of the film, but all around it drove me nuts. I can acknowledge that it is a good film, just not my taste. I realized I felt the same way when I saw the blockbuster hit Meet The Fockers (Jay Roach, 2004). Sure, Ben Stiller is pretty funny, but I cannot STAND when every little, tiny thing makes the movie a disaster after disaster. I just don't have the humor for it! I couldn't bring myself to laugh when Ben Stiller's character, Greg, went on the roof to smoke a cigarette, dropped it, and ended up lighting the hand-carved, wooden wedding arbor on fire; that is funny? That's terrible! A parallel from Bringing Up Baby to that disasterous fire scene would be when Susan goes to see David at the end in the museum, and ends up making the entire reconstructed dinosaur fall to the ground. Now that scene wasn't as bad because at that point David barely cared anymore. But still, seeing a lot of work, money, time and effort fall to the ground is not my kind of humor. Great movie...just not for me!

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

I agree Kar! Although I actually thoroughly enjoyed Meet The Folkers, I completely understand what you mean about how distracting it is when every single thing goes wrong. It just isn't realistic. That's why I stopped watching the O.C. (I know it's a tv show, not a movie, but it's the same concept). Everything that could possibly go wrong happened to the same person within the time frame of...well a season, or two seasons. I was honestly thrilled when Marissa was killed off the show.