Thursday, March 27, 2008

Akira KuroSawatdee is good

I definitely enjoyed watching Akira Kurosawa's films. They were something new for me that is for sure. Because of this, I had a harder time finding symbolism, (etc.) and relating to it in general. But I don't necessarily needs those things to like a film; it just makes it harder for me to write about them.

Growing up in Minnesota, we don't deal a whole lot with samurais. However, the film Yojimbo (1961) sort of opened my interest into that world; at least because I know nothing about it! I also thought it was pretty funny, which I wasn't expecting at all.

The 1985 film Ran definitely opened my interested, as well. But this interest was in Japanese history in general. I didn't really understand a lot of the film, I understood who everyone was and what their intentions were, but as far as who was fighting whom, I had some trouble. Kurosawa has taught me to not throw a movie back on the shelf at Blockbuster just because there isn't a cute actor or something. I mean, I wasn't actually that shallow with movies before, but I thought I would use that example to put it into perspective.

No comments: