Monday, May 5, 2008

Nashville! Finally.


Personally, I didn't understand why people hated the movie Nashville (Altman). What was to hate? I thought it was pretty cool that the actors and actresses had so much flexibility. Especially the fact that many of them wrote their own songs, shows that this is no poor operation! That is not an easy skill to have, even if you are Sueleen Gay (Gwen Welles) who has horrible songs. That's  not easy to be successful in writing one that just makes you laugh because of how ridiculous it is!

I loved the amount of characters in this 1975 Robert Altman film. Not only were there a lot of characters, they were all very different and unique. I admired Altman's work of creating each and every one of them, and then having them all tie into each other in some way or another. Any movie that shows that much creativity, you can't just say, "I hated that movie" without having valid reasons. Sure, it was a little slow in some parts, but I was thoroughly entertained just by watching the characters interact with each other. It was also enjoyable to watch the mockery of the south, specifically Nashville; the music capital of the south. I would definitely suggest this film to someone looking for a comedy, with some "oomph" at it's core (hint: the ending), that you may have to read into.

No comments: